Enjoy a neighborhood tour of the cultural capital of Black America and experience the soulful sounds of gospel music. Explore the streets walked by greats such as Billie Holiday, Malcolm X, and Michael Jackson while viewing legendary sites like the Apollo Theater, the Abyssinian Baptist Church, the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, Strivers’ Row, Hotel Theresa and much more. After the neighborhood tour, you also have a chance to enjoy a gospel performance at a service in a local church.
● View the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, one of the largest research libraries dedicated to the history of African Americans.
● Visit the exterior of the Harlem Hospital, home to the first major WPA-commissioned work awarded to an African American artist.
● Discover how Harlem became the second Dutch colony on Manhattan and learn the story of its enslaved African Americans as well as the arrival of African Americans during the Great Migration to Harlem.
● Learn about the origins of Gospel Music and how its influences spread throughout the Christian churches and served as the foundations for many different types of American music.
● View iconic Harlem sites like the Abyssinian church, Strivers’ Row, the Apollo Theater, African Square and many other locations.
● Get a chance to experience local gospel music at a Harlem church.